The REAL ID Act is a U.S. federal law that includes requirements for accessing certain Federal facilities, including non-public areas of Fermilab and DOE leased space at the Sanford Underground Research Facility in Lead, South Dakota.
The Act will go into effect on October 1, 2021, and as a federal facility, Fermilab must comply.
The details below are important and should be reviewed closely.
Fermilab REAL ID implementation
Fermilab has established a process to implement REAL ID by October 1, 2021, in compliance with the Act. Access to public areas will remain unchanged. Between now and June 30, 2021, Fermilab will be validating REAL ID compliance of all Fermilab badge holders. Beginning Oct 1, 2021, access to non-public areas will be allowed only to Fermilab badged personnel or those escorted by badged personnel. People without Fermilab badges will not be authorized to access non-public areas without an escort.
A list of REAL ID-compliant forms of identification can be found here – and includes a U.S. or foreign passport.
What users, subcontractors, authorized guests, scientist emeritus and retired guests need to do
• Fermilab users, subcontractors, authorized guests, scientist emeritus and retired guests who have provided a passport to obtain a badge will not need to do anything different regarding badging.
• Fermilab users, subcontractors, authorized guests, scientist emeritus and retired guests who are holding a badge that expires after September 30, 2021 and who have NOT provided a passport or other REAL ID-compliant form of identification will be notified and will need to present a REAL ID-compliant form of identification to the Users Office (users) or Badging Office (contractors and authorized guests) by June 30, 2021. Notices will be sent out from April through June 2021. Personnel who do not meet this deadline will lose site access beginning July 1, 2021, and computing access beginning October 1, 2021.
• For more information, visit Fermilab’s REAL ID webpage, which will be updated as information becomes available. Answers to frequently asked questions are posted on the webpage. You may also submit questions to email@example.com
- Beginning July 1, 2021, badges of non-compliant individuals will be invalidated by Fermilab. When a person presents a REAL ID-compliant form of identification to the Users Office (users) or Badging Office (contractors and authorized guests), they will then be issued a badge that is valid for the remainder of their approved access period.
• Public access. Fermilab is currently closed to the public due to COVID-19 precautions. Prior to the site reopening to the public, further information will be communicated.
Look for additional messages to be sent out over the next few months regarding the REAL ID Act and thank you in advance for complying.
Po Collins, CPCM, C.P.M.